Monday, November 24, 2008

Going to the dogs

I did something stupid last week.

I sprung two puppies from animal control and brought them home with me - against Hubby's wishes.

Right now you might be asking yourself - why in the heck did you do that? To this I say in my best doggie voice, just look at those faces! How could I resist???

I've psychoanalyzed myself all week long, and it's probably a combination of things. Those puppies were too cute to stay in that cold stinky shelter a minute longer. I've wanted a second child for years, but with the job losses and Hubby turning 41 this month, time is running out. I'm mourning the loss of my career as I knew it. I'm mourning the loss of Hubby's job. I'm searching for distractions. Maybe - as my mother hinted - I thought getting a dog would take me back to a simpler time in life - when my parents paid all of my bills and cleaned up the dog poop in the yard.

The lesson I learned - aside from not acting on impulse and I can't save all of God's creatures - is that I love my sleep. I need my sleep. I am a train wreck without my sleep. After years of the entire family sleeping through the night again, those puppies were one rude awakening. This leads me to conclude that another baby would be a rude awakening, too.

When I'm 100% honest with myself, having another child is something I fantasize about in theory but don't have the patience or energy to pull off in reality. Without the puppies, I might not have reached that conclusion on my own. Having expressed all of this to Hubby, he is thankful for what we will someday call "the puppy incident of 2008". A little lost sleep and puppy pee on the floor was a small price to pay for the sense of closure I have right now.

No worries... The puppies have a happy ending. They were rescued from a shelter and pampered at our home while I found them both great places to grow up. Just not here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is like deja vu...the conversation we had about puppies and lack of sleep. :) you've got some good karma coming your way for getting those puppies homes.