Friday, December 5, 2008

Boo 'isms

It's been a while since I've posted anything about Boo's antics of late. We've had some good ones in the past few weeks. For example, "Daddy, I don't need to go to school anymore. I've already learned everything I need to know." The kid can barely read the word cat. I think it's in her best interest to stay in school.

Or one morning earlier in the week we all climbed into the big bed to enjoy a morning a snuggle. Boo asked Hubby to rub her back. I'm like, "Hey, what about me???" To which Boo replied, "That's OK, Mommy. You can rub me when Daddy's done." That wasn't exactly my point, kid.


The night before last I allowed Boo time alone in her room to play with her make-up. The kid is obsessed with it. No, we don't let her wear it out of the house (with the exception of Halloween), but we do let her doll herself up and wear her crooked lipstick and overdone eyeshadow around the house. She came downstairs and told me that she put lipstick on her doll. I immediately freaked because she has some of my childhood dolls in her room that are made of cloth. When I went upstairs to investigate, she raced ahead of me and threw herself across the bottom step pleading, "I promise I'll clean it up. Just don't go up there!" Right. Upstairs I found one of her less expensive dolls painted in red nail polish. Boo proceeds to tell me that the almost perfectly painted on nail polish "lipstick" happened accidentally - which just ticked me off all the more. The room reeked and there was nail polish all over the floor, too. Gads. She knows better. So, she lost her nail polish privileges and will have to live with an ugly stain on her carpet. (Anyone know how to remove nail polish from carpet?)

We're doing our best to teach her that she can tell us anything - even if she did something awful. (We even have a few books on the subject.) And that it's far worse to hide it from us or lie about it - like saying that it's an accident when it was clearly a gross error in judgment.

We want her to experience consequences without instilling a fear of making mistakes.

No comments: