Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas blues

I know it's not just me. Many of my friends and relatives have this sad, wistful tone to their voice as Christmas draws near. Cosigner said it's because no matter what people have in life, they naturally wish for more - especially our generation. Gen X - the first fully pampered, fully entitled generation.

I usually long for more family. A sister who lived in the United States, parents who could travel to be with us, and maybe a brother or sister or two for Hubby (who is an only child) to add to our holiday gatherings. I want noise, chaos, laughter... Instead, it is always the three of us with Hubby's parents who aren't particularly prone to laughter.

I wonder if Boo will feel the same way as she gets older... a little cheated that her life will never resemble the large happy yet disfunctional family gatherings in Christmas movies. I wonder if she'll resent us for not giving her a sibling. Although, I know - due to my own situation - that having a sibling doesn't guarantee you'll get to spend any time together as adults. Which, I might add, is a waste of a perfectly good sister.

Instead of focusing on what we lack in life - like a house with a basement (see how easy that is) - I need to focus on what we have. Boo is a wonderful, healthy little girl. Hubby loves me, and even though he's a bum when it comes to housework (see, I did it again), I can't think of anyone else I'd rather hang out with every day. And he is such a great father. Our animals, provide plenty of chaos and laughter. Even though we both lost our jobs this year, there are gifts under the tree, we were able to help other families this season, and the bills are paid.

And in my lap is the head of one very gorgeous Weimaraner who is just grateful to have a family - no matter how large or small.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: