Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 will forever creep me out

Some people like to pretend it's just another day. For me, it will never be just another day. It's the anniversary of the day my faith in the security of comfy, cozy life in the United States was changed forever. I was glued to the t.v., feeling terrified of what might happen next & where, and talking often with my girlfriend whose husband was at work that day in the WTC.

He doesn't talk about it at all. For that reason I don't tell him how thankful I am that he got out and kept walking - home, where he belongs. I don't tell him that I think he is a great husband, a wonderful, funny guy, an involved and loving father of three incredibly gorgeous children, and someone I am proud to call my friend. When I look into the sparkling brown eyes of his youngest two children who were conceived post 9/11, I can't help but think about the eyes that never had the chance to sparkle because a mother or a father didn't come home that day. I thank God that he did.

Today is a the heaviest of reminders to be grateful for those dear to me and know how quickly it can be taken away. Today I'm going to hold Boo and Hubby a little closer to my heart.