Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Cosigner

Right after Hubby & I exchanged vows, our Matron of Honor and Best Man were pulled aside to sign the official documents. Hubby quipped to my dear friend as she signed our marriage license, "So this means if she defaults, I get you, right?" And thus, she became known as the Cosigner.

Cosigner and I met in college, floor-mates in a dorm at Granola U. We knew each other in person for exactly 12 weeks, give or take a week, thereafter Cosigner ditched Granola U and moved back to California. I made my exit two semesters later, only I wound up somewhere hotter, dryer, and sadly lacking an ocean. Oddly enough, we never lived in the same place at the same time again, but we found a kindred spirit in each other that's been the foundation of our lasting friendship.

Cosigner paid me a visit this week. We stayed up late every night having those chick conversations about old boyfriends, big mistakes, and roads not taken. Seeing as though we've both turned 29 multiple times over, it's kind of cool reliving the error of our ways because those old boyfriends and big mistakes got us where we are today; married to handsome, kind, caring, decent men who may drive us crazy from time to time, but we're darn lucky to have. These are real men - you know, the kind of men who adore their children, treat their wives with the respect we demand, and don't run away from life's challenges. It's like all of those stupid guys, dead ends, falling rocks, and forks in the road, led us both home.

The wine was good, the conversations were better, and Cosigner will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the coolest friends a girl could ever have

Oh, and we had a spa day!


Cosigner and me at age 20 or 21'ish. (Way before I discovered the benefits of eyebrow waxing!)



Yesterday... Dare I venture to say, older yet wiser? I wonder how smart we'll be 30 years from now???

No comments: